Contracts and Licensing
The Human Resources Department is committed to ensuring that each Elkhart Community Schools Certified Teacher is highly qualified and appropriately certified. We will provide all teachers with consistent reminders related to obtaining Indiana licensure as a first year teacher or as a teacher from another state. We will also provide timely and consistent reminders related to license renewals. Be aware that maintaining a current and appropriate license for the area in which you teach is of the utmost importance. Also be reminded that even though the Personnel Department will provide all the support possible, it is the teacher’s ultimate responsibility to maintain appropriate licensure.
Transition to Teaching Program
Indiana’s Transition to Teaching program is for college-degreed adults who wish to obtain their teacher certification and move into the school classroom.
- Information from the IDOE about the Transition to Teaching Program: https://www.in.gov/doe/educators/educator-licensing/transition-to-teaching/
- Approved list of IDOE Approved Transition to Teaching Programs: https://www.in.gov/doe/educators/educator-licensing/approved-transition-to-teaching-programs/
Paraprofessional Licensing Information
The ParaPro Assessment measures the skills and knowledge in reading, writing and math possessed by prospective and practicing paraprofessionals. It also measures their ability to apply those skills and knowledge when assisting in classroom instruction. It was designed to satisfy the requirements of the federally legislated No Child Left Behind Act. Anyone seeking employment as a paraprofessional in the State of Indiana must successfully complete the ParaPro exam.
IC-20-26-5-4 Compliance Information
Pursuant to Indiana Code 20-26-5-4.7, the Elkhart Community Schools posts hereunder the contract provisions of its Superintendent and certain employees. For questions or additional information, please contact Douglas Thorne, Chief of Staff and District Counsel.
- IC-20-26-5-4 Compliance Information
- IC 20-26-5-4.7
Internet posting of contract provisions for certain employees
Sec. 4.7. (a) This section does not apply to a:
(1) superintendent of a school corporation; or
(2) certificated employee (as defined in IC 20-29-2-4) that is represented by an exclusive representative (as defined in IC 20-29-2-9) under IC 20-29.
(b) The superintendent shall post the provisions of an employment contract that the school corporation enters into with a certificated employee on the school corporation’s Internet web site.
As added by P.L.148-2012, SEC.3.
- Pursuant to Indiana Code 20-26-5-4.7, the Elkhart Community Schools posts hereunder the contract provisions of its Superintendent and certain employees. For questions or additional information, please contact Douglas Thorne, Chief of Staff and District Counsel.
- IC 20-26-5-4.7