Elkhart Community Schools is always seeking caring community members to serve as substitute teachers. When an individual becomes approved as a substitute teacher, they are entered into our system where they can check on a daily basis to view available openings and submit a notice of interest. Substitute teachers have the flexibility to work on whatever days they'd like, as many days as they'd like, and at the schools they prefer. Substitute teachers can fill half-day assignments or full-day assignments. Additionally, the district is always seeking long-term subs to fill in for a teachers who may need a longer leave of absence.
Applications for the 2023 - 2024 school year are currently being accepted.
Substitute teacher training for the 2023 - 2024 school year is July 26th from 8:00-11:30AM or 12:30-4:00PM. Please contact ECS Human Resources for additional information.
Substitute Teacher Pay
Pay scale for ECS substitute teachers:
|Schedule||Substitute Permit or Certified Teacher working as a substitute teacher||Substitute Permit AND qualified to write lesson plans and perform grading or regular teaching||Retired Indiana Certified Teacher with proof of retirement||Retired Elkhart Community Schools Teacher|
Qualifications to be a substitute teacher for Elkhart Community Schools:
- College transcripts showing a minimum of 48 hours of earned college credit or a passing score on the ParaPro test
- Knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing and mathematics or knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing reading readiness, as appropriate; sensitivity toward needs of English Language Learners
- Substitute License issued from IN Department of Education's Licensing Verification and Information System
- Application for substitute teaching must be on file prior to applying for a license
- Upon qualification, applicants must also complete a background check
- Regular and timely attendance is an essential function of this position
Applying for Substitute Teaching Position
- Submit an employee application with the following documents:
- College transcripts showing 48 hours or passing a ParaPro test
- Retired Teachers
- Retired Teachers interested in substitute teaching should only complete the Retired Substitute Teacher employment application and should upload a copy of their most recent license.
After an applicant is determined "qualified" they will be required to obtain their Substitute Permit from the Indiana Department of Education as well as complete a background check and reference screening. Applicants are required to pay for their own Substitute Permit ($15.00 +.70 processing fee) and background check ($27.40).
Substitute Training Program
Elkhart Community Schools offers training for substitute teachers on:
- Classroom management
- Technology to assist students in the classroom
- Instruction for classroom attendance
- Board Policy
- Bully prevention
For information and assistance regarding the application process, please contact Applications Processing Secretary, Sandra Mondragon-Lara at 574-262-5500
For information in regards to training and compensation, please contact Assistant Director of Human Resources, Leslie Crothers-Wood at 574-262-5500