Elkhart Community Schools is always seeking caring community members to serve as substitute teachers. When an individual becomes approved as a substitute teacher, they are entered into our system where they can check on a daily basis to view available openings and submit a notice of interest. Substitute teachers have the flexibility to work on whatever days they'd like, as many days as they'd like, and at the schools they prefer. Substitute teachers can fill half-day assignments or full-day assignments. Additionally, the district is always seeking long-term subs to fill in for a teachers who may need a longer leave of absence.
Pay scale for ECS substitute teachers:
|Schedule||Substitute Permit or Certified Teacher working as a substitute teacher||Substitute Permit AND qualified to write lesson plans and perform grading or regular teaching||Retired Certified Teacher with proof of retirement|
Qualifications to be a substitute teacher for Elkhart Community Schools:
- College transcripts showing a minimum of 30 hours of earned college credit
- Knowledge of and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing and mathematics or knowledge of, and the ability to assist in instructing reading readiness, as appropriate; sensitivity toward needs of English Language Learners
- Substitute License issued from IN Department of Education's Licensing Verification and Information System (cost is $16.32)
- Regular and timely attendance is an essential function of this position
- Upon qualification, applicants must also complete a background check (cost is $24.90)
Interested individuals should apply through ECS' Job Posting for Substitute Teachers. Applications must include:
- Cover letter
- Copy of college transcripts
- 5 references with one being from a supervisor
Elkhart Community Schools offers training for substitute teachers on:
- Classroom management
- Technology to assist students in the classroom
- Instruction for classroom attendance
- Board Policy
- Bully prevention
This training will take place at the substitute teacher meeting July 28, 2022. There are 2 choices of times: 8:00-11:30am or 12:30-4:00pm.
Substitute teachers who are not able to attend the substitute meeting/training will be scheduled with the HR Application Processing Secretary on an individual basis.