Elkhart Community Schools values ALL students and families.
- What is the goal for English Learners?
- English Learners acquire English and academic skills within content-area classes ultimately leading to graduation and success while maintaining their first language and recognizing the value of multiple cultures.
- What is the Identification and Instructional Process for English Learners?
- Complete registration with the district
- Home Language Survey
- WIDA screener
- Parent/Guardian notification of results
- Individual Learning Plan (ILP) created
- WIDA ACCESS annual testing
- Monitored for two years after reaching English Proficiency Level 5.
- How are English Learners tested?
- Elkhart Community Schools uses the WIDA screener. The WIDA screener is a one-time test for a newly arrived student to Indiana schools. The WIDA screener determines the level (Level 1-6) of English language proficiency.
- Elkhart Community Schools uses the WIDA ACCESS test to assess English Learners on an annual basis. The WIDA ACCESS test measures progress in the English language.
- A child who reaches English Proficiency Level 5 will no longer need to complete the WIDA Access Test.
Beth Williams, Director of Federal Programs